Let me start out by saying that I had no intention of sharing this recipe with you. It’s not that I was hoarding it, I just didn’t think it was blog worthy. You see, when I plan recipes for the blog, I try to think of desserts that are creative and original, but that also look pretty. These chocolate covered peanut butter rice krispie treats meet none of these criteria.
Since I make so many desserts for the blog, I rarely ever make sweets based on my own cravings anymore, but this was an exception. I really wanted peanut butter rice krispie treats the other day, so I whipped up and devoured them before I even thought about photographing them, but when I made a second batch to send to a friend in a care package, and managed to get a few quick photos. They may not be fancy or original, but sometimes the simplest recipes are the best.
This easy no-bake recipe is originally from here. The only change I made was to make a slightly smaller batch (for the sake of my lack of willpower) with a thicker layer of chocolate on top, because more chocolate is always better.
Update 9/24/15– Since I shared this recipe almost two years ago, this is probably still my favorite recipe on the blog, and the recipe I make the most often. Since I’ve been known to eat an entire batch in one sitting, I’ve created a small batch version. Follow the directions in the recipe below, but use these measurements- 1/4 cup corn syrup, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1 1/4 cups rice krispie treats, and 2 ounces chocolate. This small batch recipe fits in a 4 inch x 4 inch pan.
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 1/2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 8 ounces chopped chocolate or chocolate chips (I used bittersweet)
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, letting some paper hang over each side.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine the corn syrup and sugar and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the peanut butter until smooth and combined.
- Add in the cereal and stir until well coated.
- Press the mixture into the lined pan, and set aside.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the chocolate on 50 percent power at 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until completely melted and smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the cereal mixture.
- Let stand until firm (If you wish to speed up the process, you can refrigerate the bars, but make sure to bring them back to room temperature before serving).
- Hold the parchment paper from both sides and lift the bars out of the pan.
- Cut into 16 equal portions.